Search This Blog

Loading...

Celebrating Illustration, Design, Cartoon and Comic Art of the Mid-20th Century

The Romantic Crime Illustrator

Friday, September 01, 2006


I think its safe to say that, in general, as crime story illustrators go, Joe Bowler was a great romance story artist. Still, petty details aside, its impossible not to love his masterful sense of composition and page design and top-notch painting skills. Plus, its just kinda neat seeing Bowler characters holding guns!

* Be sure to check out all of this week's scans at full size in my Joe Bowler Flickr set.

2 comments

  1. You know, what I've noticed is a lot of the illustrators used cool lighting with warm shadows. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but perhaps with the higher contrast stuff, a bigger warm shadow draws the eye in as well as the key lighting from the scene.

    It's just interesting, because today's painters/illustrators seem to always paint warmly lit scenes. I guess I'm speaking mostly of the fantasy illustrators. Which is a whole can of worms I try to avoid.

    Anyway, these have been a real treat as I'm doing research for a short comic story that's set in the 50s.

    =s=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Shane - I'm not a painter so I can't add anything knowledgable to your observations, but I wonder if this might not be part of what was being taught in the Famous Artists course...

    Please let us know when your comic story is ready!

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Recommended

HartfordMFA IlloMundo NCS

TI Around the Web

Archives