Friday, January 05, 2007

John Ruge, Round Two

All the world loves a pretty girl... and that point is proven to me again and again, whenever I post an illustration of one - or two - as I did yesterday.When I review how many times one of my scans gets looked at on Flickr, the first day often yields 20 or 30 views. Yesterday's cheesecake cartoon by John Ruge has already been viewed 99 times!"I was totally blown away by this illo - it's classic 50's cheesecake and
I just adore it"
, wrote one TI list member, "I'd love to see more girls by him so if you do have any other treasures please do share them with us."Well, your wish is my command. Sorry, just a little more cheesecake - but hopefully a selection of Ruge's other cartoon subjects will not disappoint.I don't think I'll be back for another look at Ruge any time soon, so this batch will have to do for now. Enjoy!As with yesterday's batch, you can see these images at full size in my John Ruge Flickr set.

3 comments:

  1. Especially the CLANCY-Cartoon is V-E-R-Y nice!

    I like your blog a lot!

    Greetings from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. herr gilke; I'm so glad you think so! I was struck by Ruge's powerful compositional approach in those four panels. Really striking stuff, imo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:55 PM

    Jack was one of my drawing teacher at Parsons School of Design in the late seventies early eighties. He was an excellent draftsman and genuinely nice guy. He always came prepared for class with a whole portfolio of drawings, both anatomical and artistic as well as gags he'd worked on. He'd arive early to class (I think punctuality was important to him based on the number of watches he wore, one or two on each wrist) pin his drawings on the wall and we would talk about them during the model breaks. He had a very respectful way of teaching. He would walk around the class with tracing paper and if he saw an issue he wanted to address he would never draw on your drawing. I loved to watch the master dratsman know just what line was out of place and confidently demonstrate with tracing paper where your drawing had veered off coarse....and if you did a good drawing, he couldn't contain his enthusiasm, "Wow! thats a bute!"...Thanks for bringing back the memory of a great artist and wonderful teacher, Jack Ruge.

    ReplyDelete