Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Who Was Frank Webber?


Until I found the record jacket above with Frank Webber's distinctive signature on it I had only ever seen a few pieces by him in Coronet magazine.


Webber's artwork began appearing in Coronet around 1957, when the digest magazine began using illustrators with more avant-garde styles. Webber produced many tiny spots and a few larger pieces like the ones you see here from November of 1957.


Webber's style reminds me of a cross between David Stone Martin and, believe it or not, Art Seiden - an unusual combination to be sure - but hey, that's just my opinion. I would love to know what his influences actually were - because his look is truly unique.


Webber is not listed on Askart.com or in Walt Reed's "Illustrator in America" and aside from Coronet magazine and this one album cover, I have never seen his work in any other publication. For now, Frank Webber remains a mystery.

My Frank Webber Flickr set.

2 comments:

  1. Leif:

    Your last couple weeks' worth of posts have been stellar, really nice stuff.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks very much, Jeffrey! :-)

    ReplyDelete