Friday, July 23, 2010

'60s British illustration: "... a great but little known era"

Guest author David Roach concludes his description of the fabulous new book, Lifestyle Ilustrations of the '60s, just released in the UK and Europe by the new publishing house Fiell and edited by Rian Hughes
Lifestyles35
Hopefully the book will stand as a fitting tribute to a great but little known era and the artists who helped define it, but I’m all too aware of how much more there is to discover.

Lifestyles31
I was amazed when writing about the artists how difficult it was to find out anything about Lynn Buckham (below) for instance - indeed for most of the time researching his career I didn’t even know if he was even a "he"… or a "her."

Lifestyles34
There is even less information around about the Brits. Thankfully some giants of the artform such as Walter Wyles (below) are still with us.

Lifestyles33
But far too many have just disappeared from sight entirely. One of the very most talented Brits in the book is Eric Earnshaw (below) and yet to date I have been unable to find out anything at all about his life or career. It is as if he has simply vanished entirely, as if he had never been born almost.

Lifestyles30

Well, the fight back starts here.

David A Roach – July 2010

Lifestyle04

* Lifestyle Illustrations of the '60s is available at Amazon.com

14 comments:

  1. I just received the book last night--very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my copy too. Really wonderful. So many great illustrations. I'm sure it will be a great source of inspiration. I can't wait for the 50's volume :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:04 AM

    excellent book. i just got a copy recently too. (I've been looking for something like this for ages.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my copy last week, and I'm blown away by the volume of illustrations inside, the talent and the vivid colors. I love how it is presented in a year-by-year format, but one complaint would be that most of the illustrations are taken out of context - that is, the main subjects have been cropped from what was probably a horizontal, two-page layout. That being said, though, I love this book, and can't wait for the 50s volume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The art of the girl in the top picture with her thumb in her mouth
    wasn't done by Coby Whitmore.
    I remember the Whitmore art that
    was traced for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. please tell me there will be a 40s volume too !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks awesome! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dueep Jyot Singh8:39 AM

    Eric Earnshaw along with Will Davies was a regular artist for- Womans Weekly, a very popular Brit magazine- in the 60s. His distinctive style made one visualise the characters so well, that one "knew" what the hero and heroine looked like. One knoweth not where those art influencing giants have gone, Earnshaw, Davies, Peter Gibson , Tom McNeely et al...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:24 PM

    Eric Earnshaw always had us preteens madly in love with the handsome heroes of the Woman's Weekly stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. does anybody about eric earnshaws techniques? if u know plz tell me because need it.. thx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tengo una obra original de Eric Earnshaw, una escena de los años 50, posiblemente de algún viaje a la Costa del Sol, en el pueblo de Mijas, Málaga. La escena trata sobre unos turistas cogiendo el llamado burro-taxi, típico de este pueblo. Cualquier otra consulta, estoy disponible en www.jfernandezantic.es

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across this site by accident - in 1966 I was in benidorm on a family beach holiday, where we got friendly with Eric Earnshaw and his family. i remember he had a young son. The family lived in Blackheath - I remember what a modest and unassuming person he was, absolutely charming. The family invited me to come and visit and I regret I never did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I met Eric Earnshaw on a number of occasions, as he had the same Illustrators agent ( Allied Artists) as myself. I was friendly with his son who worked at the agency in London, we both being of similar age. I went to the house in Blackheath a couple of times and saw Eric's studio and his extensive photographic reference collection. Eric was a real gent, very kind and always interested in young artists and their work. I remember him fondly .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I met Eric Earnshaw on a number of occasions, as he had the same Illustrators agent ( Allied Artists) as myself. I was friendly with his son who worked at the agency in London, we both being of similar age. I went to the house in Blackheath a couple of times and saw Eric's studio and his extensive photographic reference collection. Eric was a real gent, very kind and always interested in young artists and their work. I remember him fondly .

    ReplyDelete