Monday, January 24, 2011

Mike Ludlow (1921-2010)

If you've been following this blog for a long time you might remember that I've written about Mike Ludlow before. This illustration below, from an old issue of Esquire magazine, was the first scan I ever sent out to a small group of friends some ten years ago under the subject line, "Today's Inspiration."

Ludlow01.jpg

Last week a TI list member very thoughtfully sent me this obituary notice.

Ludlow31

Over these last few years I've had the tremendous pleasure of connecting with so many wonderful illustrators and their families. Its always been my hope that it would happen again with Mike Ludlow - the original 'inspiration' behind Today's Inspiration. I'm saddened that I missed my chance.

Ludlow09.JPG

This week, in memory of Mike Ludlow, I'll be presenting whatever Ludlow images I still have in my collection that aren't yet in my Flickr archives.

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Ludlow had a great flair in his illustration style. Bravo and RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fine artist from a fascinating period has left us. I'm also still stinging a bit from the passing of Ernest Chiriaka. Not surprised, because they lived long lives and the major part of their careers had come to a close ... but I feel the sting nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitch Itkowitz7:24 PM

    I spoke with Ludlow about a year before he passed away. Very delightful man, but at that point his memory was hazy as to any stories or insight about his work.

    ReplyDelete