Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Guess Who Dunnit? Part 4

David Roach shares one last batch of paperback covers by unknown illustrators.

I’ve just retrieved a few choice items from my studio so here are the last few items- as if you didn’t have enough already.

These two are a little different because they’re signed, but they still seem to ask a few questions. Wildfire Encounter has what looks like a backwards signature (clearly the image was flipped for publication) and I don’t know if it’s my imagination but it looks like "Bowler" to me - Joe Bowler! Could Bowler have gone into Romance covers? I’m not entirely convinced it looks like his style... but the '60s was a decade of constant stylistic experimentation so I guess it could be him.

Unknown1034

Corridor Of Whispers would seem to signed "Schridde' - which would be Charles Schridde of the famous Motorola ads series (though clearly he’s wandering into different territory here). There’s no mention on any websites I’ve seen of Schridde painting book covers but as a jobbing artist back then I guess you would take on whatever raised its head. The book dates from 1965 which would make it one of the first examples of the genre.

Schridde06

Yet more Romances - in case you hadn’t had enough.

Pacific Pretence is one of my favourites with a surprisingly undemonstrative tryst which might be the work of the UK’s Cecil Vieweg or, perhaps more likely, from an American artist. The draughtsmanship here is of the very highest quality.

Unknown1035

The Romance of Emva has a nicely loose, breezy style which is in marked contrast to the more polished, florid paintings from the likes of Elaine Duillo or Pino Daeni which came to dominate the genre. It is helpfully signed but I can’t make it out unfortunately.

Unknown1036

The last two - honestly.

A couple of late '50s covers here which could be from Italian, Spanish or American artists, I honestly can’t tell.

Unknown1037

Moonlight Magic is particularly nice with a degree of polish that you don’t usually see in the cheaper end of the market.

Unknown1038

That’s the lot of my most pressing queries! I wonder how many will be identified, plus, more than that, I wonder how many will be identified by the artists themselves of their families- now there’s a thought!

6 comments:

  1. I worked pretty close with Charlie Schridde for a number of years and I know that he didn't do any paperback book covers. In fact, around 1964 he quit doing illustration and decided to become a photographer and was quite successful in that area. This is interesting work that you're posting.
    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's interesting! Thank you Harry - at least now we know for sure that signature doe not say "Schridde" ... so the mystery continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting:
    "Schridde" signature is anthother mystery. Who Dunnit??
    The signature and its S.h.i.dd and so forth-spelling after all does look like "Schridde" to me, IMO.

    But who knows: from a graphic - or whatever graphologic point of view:
    this signature may also signify something like "Gullible"..

    Mr. Gullible?

    Another mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Corridor of Whispers" is painted by Bob Schinella.
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Neither Schridde, nor "Mr. Gullible":

    It's
    Bob Schinella

    I stand corrected
    Rich

    ReplyDelete