Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Happy Time for Record Jacket Illustrators

Over the last few years I've accumulated quite a few old illustrated album covers. This week I thought it might be fun to have a look at a few of them.

Unknown111617

This first one is from Happytime Records (a great name for a record label, in my opinion).

Unknown1117

The style of the artwork looks vaguely familiar... but I can't quite place it.

Unknown1117.detail01

Its wonderful, in any case.

Unknown1116

Illustrating album covers back in the day wasn't just a Happytime - it was also Playtime!

Unknown1115

No idea who did this one either. The back of the jacket shows a few other Playtime album covers...

Unknown1114

... and I found one of those which I believe was by the same artist on Flickr.

Here's yet another fun album cover, this time for a classical composer.

Silverstein24

No signature on this piece but I have a sneaking suspicion its by Don Silverstein. (Maybe Harry Borgman, who knew Don personally, will confirm or deny that for us).

Silverstein24.detail01

Next, a fabulous cover from 1958 signed "Gersten."

Gersten01

Many thanks to Neil Shapiro, who informed me that this is the work of an illustrator named Gerry Gersten, whose work and career is presented in a post on this blog.

Gersten01.detail01

Finally for today, here's a hilarious album cover. I would have bought this record just for the front cover, even though it isn't illustrated!

IDCfront

Happily, it does have a great illustrated back cover - for those who dig, you know, actual "chicks."

Page01

Cartoon chicks, that is.

8 comments:

  1. The top one looks like Norman Bridwell- of Clifford the Big Red Dog fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Greg's right. Bridwell would be my guess too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg and Glen are probably right, but I looked at it and thought, "Wow, so much stuff from that era looks like Paul Coker, Jr. ..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's it -- all three of you are right! Many thanks, guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never can figure out how these damn little boxes work... Doc Dolittle reminds me of the looser style that Dink Siegel used for his Field & Stream illustrations. SO unlike his Playboy work.

      Delete
  5. it would be a good idea to put these thoughts into wood signs as well...to remind you daily, i mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Dolittle
    Entry of the Gladiators
    Jonah Jones
    Let's Dance
    It's sheer fun!

    ReplyDelete