Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The KISS Principle


I'd first like to thank Leif for inviting me to participate in this week's theme and for exposing me to the inspiring work of Saul Mandel. For the record, I don't consider myself a "50's storybook illustration" authority. I'm definitely more of a fan than an expert. But, not wanting to be left out...

Saul Mandel: The KISS Principle

Keep It Simple, Stupid...

Design and simplicity are emphasized in these playful illustrations from Saul Mandel. The liveliness in his design is carried out with variety and expressiveness in the shapes and minimal line work, while maintaining consistency of style. No easy task. In the hands of a lesser artist, this approach could come off as cold, dry, and boring. But not here. These exude warmth and humor, and in a deceptively simple way, they convey their message.

In a similar vein to Mandel, some children's book illustrators that I've featured on flickr and at my blog are Aliki, Janet LeSalle, and Abner Graboff.

Enjoy!

Eric

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for honoring my father. He passed away in August, but his memory lives on. And remember to KISS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are interested in finding more information or how to purchase prints designed by Saul Mandel, feel free to contact me through here.
    his most recent children's book illustrations can be found under the title "Parade".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can advise you to check https://vpn-lab.com/cybersecurity-threats/ out if you want to get info about Cybersecurity Threats. It's really useful to know

    ReplyDelete