Friday, June 30, 2006

Jane Oliver


One last piece to conclude this week's look at illustrating water: this lovely stylized painting by Jane Oliver. I really like the way the artist shows us the shadows of the dock and the boats, distorted by the movement of the water, on the sunlit bottom of the lake. She successfully gives a nod to this element of realism and still manages to combine it with the almost child-like interpretation of waves as semi-circle patterning in the middle distance.

What really struck me about the piece is how contemporary it looks. It could rest comfortably among other modern pieces in a magazine today, yet was created half a century ago.

I've only ever seen one or perhaps two other pieces by Jane Oliver and unfortunately could locate no information about the artist.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:04 PM

    hi;

    can you give me any info on Jane Oliver....or lead me to where I can get some.

    thanks

    my e-mail -- arat13r@peoplepc.com

    ReplyDelete