Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"I decided just to try illustration"


When Noel Sickles' request for a raise was turned down by his bosses at Associated Press, Sickles said, "So I quit finally, just in sheer disgust." The syndicate was making "in the neighborhood of about $2,500 a week" from Sickles' efforts on Scorchy Smith (that's in 1936 dollars) but refused to pay the artist more than the $125 a week he had fought his way up to (from a starting salary of $47.50).

In his interview from The Comics Journal #242, Sickles tells interviewer Gil Kane, "To give you an idea of art prices: In 1925, an illustrator like Coles Phillips could draw a silk-stocking ad and get about $3,000."

Sickles goes on to say, "I decided just to try illustration and see what happened. I didn't think that I'd make it; to be an illustrator. The strange thing is I started right out on top."

Sickles advertising accounts included Postum, Fels Naptha, Camels, Prestone, and one of my favourites: this 1949 series for Champion sparkplugs. The shame is that the printing quality in American magazine, where I found these ads, is none to good, and the artwork is quite small to boot. But you can get a pretty good look at them if you click "All Sizes" in my Noel Sickles Flickr set.

1 comment:

  1. I wish American students could get diplomas in Canada and see just how much better their life could be with good policy and good jobs. Self employed hairstylists who cant afford healthcare, dairy farmers who are subject to market instability, underpaid professional women who have no access to quality affordable childcare etc. I’ve learned much lately from https://writemyessaysonline.com/dissertation-writing-service.php top thesis posts.

    ReplyDelete