Friday, February 09, 2007

ANITA VIRGIL / RESPONSE TO READERS


Anita has asked me to post her response to the many kind remarks she has received or read on the Today's Inspiration blog after last week's series on her late husband, Andy Virgil:

When Leif and I first got in touch, I trolled my memory for these long-ago occurrences and began to relive them in a rush. As Andy’s story gradually unfolded, I realized I could not tell it true without exposing a good deal of the personal bases which underlay the events. And any writer knows, there is a time when you must learn to let the work carry you where it wants to go. It is then you are approaching the pure element.

But I had one reservation: I feared Leif’s readers might be impatient with the private background material which is integrated throughout.

"Just show us his art! Nevermind the talk" rang in my ears. And then I thought again: I always want to know as much as possible about people I admire. I wonder how they ever arrive at the point of their noteworthy achievements. By what circuitous -- or direct -- route do they get there? Where finally does life take them? Usually, you never find out enough of that.

I believe the true grandeur of any human being’s life is displayed in how they pursue their goals. "Against all odds," dedicated to something worthwhile, maintaining one’s integrity and decent behavior all the while -- regardless of what life dishes up. That is the measure of anyone, to me. I have tried to show this part of Andy as much as I have gladly displayed his tremendous talent.

From all the incredibly kind responses Leif and I are getting, so full of admiration for Andy’s work as well as a genuine appreciation for hearing of our life, I am satisfied I did not hold back the details.

I hope to respond to those who contact me at this email address:

andyvirgil@verizon.net

Please write 'Andy Virgil' in the Subject line.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:17 PM

    I was just thinking: she wants to preserve his work, not only the memory of him. His work, not just the memory... Memory is what exists, that's out of question, but his work? It should not be kept covered in dust in a basement. It must be displayed as any other work of art. And that is what Anita has done.

    Your and Andy's friend and admirer,
    Sasa Vazic

    ReplyDelete