Monday, June 18, 2007

Charles Harper in Childcraft

Oh Happy Day!

On Friday I finally located a set of Childcraft books in a little thrift shop in Grimsby. Ever since I first found a random batch of these incredible books about a year ago I've coveted a complete set. The sheer quantity of artwork and artists represented in the few volumes I owned left me feeling half-crazed with curiousity about who might have done work in the other books.


Well now I know... and WOW... you're gonna freak when you see all the beautiful artwork I'll be bringing you in the coming weeks and months!

For starters: Charles Harper. If, like me, you were unfamiliar with this illustrator/designer's elegant style until now, then its my great pleasure to introduce you to his work.


If you were already a Charles Harper fan, hopefully these pieces are new to you.

Unfortunately, Harper passed away only a few days ago. But he was much loved and celebrated right to the end. My pal, Ward Jenkins, recently posted about Harper on his always excellent blog The Ward-O-Matic, where he provides lots of great info and links for Charles Harper fans - new and old - to check out. I encourage you take a look!


For me, Harper's style is incredibly striking... both inspirational and educational. His wonderful design sense brings a truly impactful quality to an already masterful and thoroughly modern technique.


I've got a couple more of Harper's Childcraft illos, as well as larger versions of what you see here today, in my new Charles Harper Flickr set.

8 comments:

  1. Leif whats the publication date on your set of Childcraft?
    I got some from 1966 and some from 1973. I'm pretty sure my 1973 set has these Harper illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John;

    This particular set is dated 1964 ... but the random volumes I have from later years do indeed reprint many images from this set. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find! Can't wait to see what treasures you post for us.

    Thanks for doing what you are doing and please keep it up.

    Best,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leif,

    I just found this video of Charley Harper from November. He shows how he draws his cardinals. (Sadly, Harper died just a couple weeks ago, on June 11.)

    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20070611&Category=VIDEO05&Lopenr=70611027&Ref=AR

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, Steve and Jennifer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I grew up with that entire Childcraft set, but somehow forgot that Harper did some illos for it. We had a 1970 edition. I loved those books. I've been planning on scanning some of the few volumes, but now I don't have to!

    Looking forward to seeing more, Leif!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:44 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete