Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sargent's Summer

Here's a moment I think we can all relate to: the first morning of summer vacation.


Of the many regular cover artists the Saturday Evening Post employed, Dick Sargent has to be one of my favourites. His gentle sense of humour and ability to capture those genuine moments of everyday life, always executed with great skill and solid craftsmanship, never fail to please.


Dick Sargent is on my list of illustrators who need to be showcased over the course of a week. For now, these two scans will have to do... and there's a third one in my Dick Sargent Flickr set.

2 comments:

  1. Two great Sargent pieces, Leif! His talent to tell a story with a single image is reminiscent of Rockwell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:09 AM

    I have two original R. Sargent illustrations (sketches with watercolor that I believe were done in the 70's or 80's.

    They are whimsical pieces: "Happiness is a wet kiss" (a shaggy dog cartoon) and "Others are others, I am I," (a robust bird with big beek).

    Do you know if there are collectors who would be interested? I am either using Ebay or live auction house to sell these pieces if there is value or may donate to his home town library.

    Paul Arthur Miller
    bustermagee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete