Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Buried Treasure from Sheilah Beckett

Last week a note arrived from Sean Smith:

"My mother and I were going through some files and came up with some more original work, and I thought you might like to see it." Enclosed were nearly two dozen jpegs of gorgeous illustration originals and tearsheets by Sheilah Beckett.

Beckett38

Beckett39

Beckett37

Beckett36
The grouping I'm sharing with you are from two 1950s books Sheilah Beckett illustrated. Above are some drawings from the "Ribald Reader"...

Beckett23
... and below are three pieces from the 1959 book, "Green Mansions."

Beckett35

Beckett34

Beckett33

Tomorrow we'll look at several more of the scans Sean sent. Meanwhile, a reminder that Sean has created a Sheilah Beckett Facebook Fan page, which I'm sure many readers would like to join.

* My Sheilah Beckett Flickr set.

5 comments:

  1. Shelia Becket's drawings(and painting) are very appealing.The gesture in the first drawing is very animated.It reminds me of the good Disney artists.The line work is so precise and elegant,as are the character and clothing designs.And I get a kick out of the 'Ribald'subject matter.
    I wonder how she'd handle a graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops,I missed the second 't' in Beckett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great stuff! I really like the stylized figures on the line work, and the good use of contrast on the ink illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harrison11:50 AM

    Very very nice linework and design here.And definitely on a level above comics and animation.Quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete