Monday, August 13, 2012

Bob Jones: "This is my Dad" ... "This is my Dad too!"

Way back when I began Today's Inspiration in 2005, the first artist I featured was Bob Jones. I'm a very big fan of Bob's artwork. Back when I was preparing to write about his career, I was a thrilled (and bit star-struck) to be speaking on the phone with the creator of the Esso Tiger, one of Mad magazine's cover artists and a member of the famous Charles E. Cooper studio. Bob is a real gentleman and gave me all the time in the world. He also has a really soothing voice - he could have done radio!

Jones52

Bob is a tremendously versatile and talented artist. The 'realistic' style he used for the romance stories he illustrated in the Saturday Evening Post (and many other major magazines of the late '50s and early '60s) are every bit as gorgeous and beautifully designed as those of his peers at the Cooper studio.

Jones50

Recently Bob's kids must have stumbled across my series of posts on their dad from 2009. It brought a smile to my face to read their comments. There's nothing I like better than hearing the personal anecdotes that describe so much about the human quality of the artists whose work I admire.

Jones38.detail02

"You have some really cool stuff [about my dad]," commented Pete Jones. "Thanks for the tribute. I am going to see him on Block Island in two weeks. He is still painting for pleasure."

Jones47

Then a day or so later: "This is my Dad too... My brother Pete just sent this to me. Pete, those photos are of Dad. I saw the originals. I was only 4 when the Esso Tiger thing started. I remember we had Esso Tiger costumes that we wore for Hallowe'en."

Jones41

"When Dad moved his studio home I remember wandering into his studio in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. I would crawl onto his lap and watch him work. When I fell asleep he would put me back in bed. For years I thought Dad never slept because he always seemed to be awake in his studio."

Jones49

"Years later I told Dad what I thought. He got a good laugh about that."

Jones51

"I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful dad. I am glad his work is appreciated."

Jones46

And yes, it absolutely is. If you're interested in seeing more of Bob Jones' work and reading about his career, here are the links to my earlier posts:

Bob Jones in Grade 2: "Well, this is what I'm going to do!"

Bob Jones: "Drawing is drawing, whether it's realistic or not."

Bob Jones and the Esso Tiger

Bob Jones: Of Mice and... Mendola (oh, and Mad magazine)

44 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Leif. I remember being a fan of Bob Jones back in the late '50s and early '60s, and am ashamed to say that I had forgotten about him. He sounds like a nice guy, and his adult kids sound pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. clipt his animal work when I saw it--

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immensely appreciate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gooood Block!!! Many information. Regards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met him once, Barbara Bradley's old studio mate at Coopers, and he is not just a great multifaceted artist, but a genuinely nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found 6 of his advertising sketches in a second hand store, a travel one, a couple of record covers, an unfinished fashion piece of a female model, and an advert for a department store in California. I mention this in case anyone has any interest in seeing these pieces, I'd be glad to post pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting w/ the news of your find, NYCTHRIFTER. I'd love to see those sketches... would you be willing to email me some jpegs? My address is leifpeng[at]gmail[dot]com (replace the words in brackets with the appropriate symbols and punctuation). Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I've just come back from the San Diego Comic Con where I purchased a HUGE illustration by Bob Jones. It's a humorous piece showing American sailors capturing a Nazi submarine. I'm curious to know what it's from. Any way I can send a scan to see if someone can identify it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew Bob many years ago as a boy. My mother Rita was his housekeeper. I would help mom clean his humble apartment, look at all his artwork fresh drawings for Mad, Pebbles and His wonderful greeting cards. I have many of them thanks to Bob. He would give me piles of Mad Magazines draw pictures for me I still have them all. He and my mother became good friends over the years. At her passing he came to pay his respects. I did not recognize him at first and he said in his soft voice Bob Jones, I embraced him and we wept for just a moment together. I will never forget you Bob. Please send Bob a message if you can. Rita's son Luca sends his best, god bless you and thank you again for being so kind and a good friend to my mom Rita. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://supremelightsolution.com/product/buy-ativan-online/" rel="dofollow">buy lorazepam online

    ReplyDelete
  10. A touch of scandal nice story.do you want best inverter battery

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thansk to share nice story Dr. Soniya best Psychologist in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post Leif. I remember being a fan of Bob Jones back in the late '50s and early '60s, and am ashamed to say that I had forgotten about him. He sounds like a nice guy, and his adult kids sound pretty good too!Psychologist in South Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this blog Hair Transplant Surgeon in Delhi providing best services in Delhi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this blog Hair Transplant Surgeon in Lahore providing best services in Lahore.

    ReplyDelete


  15. Changa is a DMT-infused smoking blend. Extracts from DMT-containing plants are combined with a blend of different herbs. And ayahuasca vine and/or leaf to create a mix that is 20–50% DMT, changa for sale akin to a smokeable ayahuasca.
    Changa was created by Australian Julian Palmer in 2003-2004 and named when he ‘asked’ for a moniker for the drug during an Ayahuasca session.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is quite a good blog.Are you also searching for DNP Capstone Project? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering nursing writing services to students without having to break the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is quite a good blog.Are you also searching for BSN Writing Services? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering the best bsn writing services to students without having to break the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Banyak sekali situs pkv yang bermunculan saat ini, mulai dari situs situs yang lama sampai dengan situs situs yang baru, di situs pkv teman temman cukup daftar 1 id bisa untuk bermain 9 permainan dalam satu server, bermain dengan beda situs, dalam 1 id ada permainan poker online, dominoqq, capsa susun , aduqq, bandarq, bandarpoker dll. sistem deposit dan pendaftaran sangat mudah, setelah teman teman deposit teman teman bisa langsung bermain untuk deposit bisa menggunakan pulsa online jadi sangat simple bukan. murni player vs player admin tidak di perbolehkan bermain, keamanan dan kenyamanan adalah prioritas kami. agen dominoqq online deposit pulsa kam sudah kumpulkan beberapa situs pkv yg terpercaya dalam satu web ini teman teman bisa cek di list situs pkv di bawah ini. daftar dan login situs pkv online serta link alternatif resmi

    ReplyDelete