Saturday, August 21, 2010

Charlie Allen on AF/VK

By guest author Charlie Allen

Now... something we must get back to... the amazing, outstanding, unique, superb Pontiac ads by AF and VK.  Have already forgotten their names, but you know them. (Charlie is referring to the illustration team of Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman ~ L)

AF-VK16

I know TI has already blogged them... but really, these ads are the ultimate, the epitome, the most skilled automobile art that has ever been published.

AF-VK14

Pure, 'sock it to 'em' advertising.  Great renderings of foreground, background, and bold, classy interpretations of the cars.

AF-VK15

Obviously I can't say enough... and they are certainly worthy of another TI.  Hopefully you have a few more that I don't have.

AF-VK13

Eee-nough....  Chas.

* Many thanks, Charlie. And yes, there are about a dozen more Pontiac ads in my AF/VK Flickr set. For those who want to salivate over even more gorgeous AF/VK art, drop by Art Fitzpatrick's official site, Fitz-Art.com

* Want some more weekend reading? This week's "NCS Spotlight" features my posts on the legendary Albert Dorne.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:50 PM

    Nice to see an update on this fantastic artwork. I have some Original AF-VK's for sale on Ebay which I think is a first for that venue. Just search AF-VK...Thanks Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie Allen1:15 PM

    I would love to know the value placed today on an original AF/VK Pontiac ad. Even a rough estimate. Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. About $10,000 for an original painting.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:25 PM

    The last "published" sale that I am aware of was in May of 2005 at an aution through Illustration House in New York. It was lot #149and it sold for over $3K. I have (5) Original AF-VK's currently listed for sale on Ebay along with other original Pontiac art from the 30's through the 60's. Time will tell but keep in mind although there are collectors, you have to have the right one looking at the right time. Best Regards Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Let's bring back illustration to sell cars. Flipping thru a magazine I want to buy none of the cars advertised. The photos are so Photoshopped that they might as well be illustrations, except that the retouching makes the cars look dull and antiseptic. I like the way these old ads lie to me much more than the way new ads lie to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His composition and observation and color and texture are superb beyond words.

    ReplyDelete