Friday, August 05, 2011

Charlie Allen's final CAWS ~ Part 3

* Although Charlie intended this to be one long post, I've split it into three parts and presented one part each day this week. This is the concluding installment ~ Leif


Finally, a couple of Gallo color ads, again I believe, slated for Sunday newspaper distribution.  They may have been for magazines.

Allen760

These both display Gallo's penchant for product up front and center... and the art set up and photographed with and through wine glasses and bottles.

Allen761

Foote-Cone was the agency, I believe, and the art suffered, to put it mildly.  But, hey....we're selling wine here, aren't we?

Finally, finally... I'll include three Olympic Club February covers.  Their bi-monthly magazine, and on each, a portrait of the new year's next president.  The lady illustrated was the very first woman president in the club's long history!

Allen764

The original scan, as printed on the magazine, was strange... quite grainy.  Evidently the pixels didn't get along with the texture of the charcoal drawing.  The older two covers were printed in the regular 120 line screen.

Allen763

Allen762

Finally, finally, finally... a couple of State Fund 'local office' brochures in ink line and one color.

Allen767

These would have looked less hard and mechanical had they been done in charcoal pencil.

Allen766

I believe in this case I was trying to vary the style from what I'd been doing before.

Allen765

Anyway, none of these are exceptional... just the workaday world of this old San Francisco illustrator. Enough old Allen ads that they could make a one-shot CAWS.  I label them 'also rans'... but it really is just some neglected stuff from way back.  

Allen768

A couple not found earlier, a couple of 'rejects' that I'm willing to expose for some reason (hopefully to a forgiving bunch) and maybe a repeat (I just can't remember).

Allen769

I really did have the advantage of variety in my assignments... and it kept me alive and interested.

Enough of this. Cheers ~ Chas.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these over the past few days. It's right and proper for the man to continue speaking to us though he has exited the stage. For he is indeed immortal so long as his art lives on.

    And it does! It goes on living in fact, on this page and his blog; in the files many of us hold and look to for inspiration; and figuratively in the work produced by those whom he inspires.

    I'm sure I speak for many when I say I'm grateful for his massive body of art works, but more grateful for his superlative example of work ethic. For always striving to better oneself and one's craft; and for ever maintaining that high standard regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O-1!; Thank you for that eloquent comment. I'm sure Charlie would have greatly appreciated hearing that - and I guarantee his family will when they have a chance to look over this past week's posts. Thanks again ~ Leif

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always so modest.
    He takes mundane subject matter, makes it look good and then brushes it away as if it were nothing.What a REAL talent Charlie was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for publishing this fitting tribute to Charlie, Leif. A long, honorable career doing quality work is an important accomplishment and should not be forgotten. I have always enjoyed Charlie's comments on your blog and I shall miss him.

    ReplyDelete